Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind: the unsung Kaufman film

Why isn't this movie in everyone's collection, and one everyone's list of ten best films? It's both clever and heartfelt. It's about a hundred things, but never not about the main character, and his relationship with his friends, lovers, fans, self, world. ...Congratulations, Max, on writing like a highschool student. Fuck you, Max I ain't writin' this for anyone but me! ANd I'm tired! And I won't have time to watch this movie with the commentary tonight which means I'm gonna have to keep it an extra day! How the fuck am I supposed to wtcht he 370 some movies on my netflix que, when I can't watch more than a couple movies a week?! And these extras aren't making it any easier!

ANYWAY, I love Sam Rockwell (was dubious after Matchstick Men), and love all the trickery of this film. Plot trickery (most obviously), character trickery, cinematic trickery, story telling trickery (not the same as plot trickery mind you), blocking trickery (there's a lot in this film that leads very naturally into Clooney's most recent film, Good Night and Good Luck), energetic trickery. And it's never gimmickry! Clooney directs the way he acts--or, perhaps, the way he really is. With a concentrating eye and a knowing grin. He loves slipping us something, and watching us slowly get it. Funtastic.

0 Expoundatures:

Expound

<< Home