Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Great Escape: Where's Colonel Klink?!

I've been meaning to get tot his classic for a long atime, and when I finally did, I was really happy. It's so strong a film. The near-3-hour running time is so worth it and so well used. I never felt bored, because each scene is used. Sure, it's with the pace of a film from 1962, but that's what makes it so rich. A 3 hour film today is just way too much content. Not so here.

Having just watched the FLint films, I was rooting for James Coburn the entire time (SPOLER ALERT!!)--I'm glad he made it out. And the scene when the French waiters save his life was so cool! We can all come together in our hatred of the Germans.

I was surprised to see the relatively nice living conditions for the POW's. I figure this is due to the happy-go-lucky nature of the film (and the time's attitude toward films), but when the German running the camp is having an elevated conversation with the British prisoner... I don't know, it seemed kind of cool. As if he knows he has a shit job in the German army, so he wants it to be a little exciting, so he kind of hopes the prisoners will escape! Still, as he notes, it's comfortable compared to real battle, so he wants it to last a long time.

The whole blind thing was a little excessive, but I guess it added a neat dimension when we cut between each group getting away. The boat/plane/train/bike sequence reminded me of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

Finally, I'm not so sure about this Steve McQueen fellow... was he really considered a hottie? Looks kinda goofy to me. But then I guess no one can be James Coburn...

2 Expoundatures:

At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why was McCarthy crazy?

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, move that comment down one.

 

Expound

<< Home