Friday, August 04, 2006

Galaxy Quest: I kinda wish I had just watched a Star Trek film, instead.

This movie is hilarious. Every character is doing their own thing, and no one is supporting the hero, really. It makes for this wonderful sense of chaos when the shit hits the fan, with everyone reacting the way a real person would: "I hope I don't die". We are all the protagonsists of our own movies.

Tony Shalhoub is awesome in this (but when isn't he?), and he's pretty blatantly stoned the entire time. Not that that has to be the joke, but there's little area for alternate explanation.

There's a cut scene that provides signifigance to the rock monster being shoved out into space: Alan Rickman says a rock's motivation would be "make the vibrations stop!".

The entire thing kind of reminds me of that Futurama episode where they meet all the old Star Trek actors, and Shatner and Zapp Brannigan stand off. The inherent love of Star Trek this film has is pretty wonderful, and the nod, in the end to a spin-off (The Next Generation, or, if you want to get especially dorky about it, Star Trek Phase II) makes me think of a sequel, which might be better, since a movie's spoof-i-tude kind of fades as it becomes it's own franchise (As mentioned in my Flint film reviews. And it would necessarily still be so silly that there are truly infinite directions it could go.

On the other hand, it was only pretty funny. Often, the character-driven humor would have been funnier, if the timing had been right. I hate to be a hater, here, but I'm thinking the director wasn't all that used to ensemble comedies... or maybe sci-fi comedies... but how many people are used to that non-genre? I don't know... some of the jokes seemed pretty obvious... and it's not like it's all that old (1999), so I think maybe the writer just watched too much TV before penning the screenplay. Meh, it was so much fun that the occasional awkwardity is pretty overlookable. Yes, those are both words. As of now.

0 Expoundatures:

Expound

<< Home