Thursday, October 06, 2005

I like the word "interlocking"...

My roommate, in a red faced tizzy, announces he's sick of people holding things above him, and it's time he goes and sees the film The Aristocrats. I kinda shrugged and said "stick it to 'em, baby." which got a weird look, but his tizzy was more powerful than his "rebuke center", and off he went. The whole thing reminded me that I never reviewed that movie. Here are a few thoughts.

The entire film was great. Very funny. And very interesting. Good points about how offensive humor has changed over the years, and what people find offensive. This could be a good jumping off point to discuss "post-modern racism", but I don't want to inadvertently offend EVERYONE so I'll stay put. I will say, though, that it's all just new frontiers of humor, and the more people who get into an area of it, the less "borderline" it is, so soon, I think epithets will have no power to anyone, and any actual racism will be really subtle. Maybe it'll be a good thing, maybe not. In any case, I see it as the next step in cultural evolution. At least on that spectrum.

Some of the comedians, I realized, are like gods, in that they say just a few things, and you feel like the sage has spoken. Even if they aren't saying anything sage-like, you feel like George Carlin and Robin Williams just kind of know.

Sarah Silverman is fucking HOT.

There were those who felt that the underlying issues were never addressed. Or, perhaps that the underlying mechanics of comedy were barely explored. And I can see this argument, but I wonder if comedians even care to do that. They know comedy, but can they dissect it so easily? Perhaps some can, but the team interviewing them just wasn't interested in probing to why it's funny, or, in the documentarian way, leaping off into related ideas. No, the film was definitelly about one thing only. But god damn was it entertianing.

Andy Richter is brilliant, and his brief show was fantastic, and I miss him dearly.

1 Expoundatures:

At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked The Aristocats. that was a quality flick.

 

Expound

<< Home