Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Leon: or, to those who hate the French but like this movie, The Professional.

Speaking of a young Natalie Portman, I also saw Leon, or Leon the Professional or whatever the fuck that movie's called. And it was great. I was a little put of from time to time by what I would call cliches. I mean, sure, the film was made in 1994, but I felt like I'd seen certain scenes before. Or, no, the film's plot is too sharp to be predictable (did Leon really have to... confront Gary Oldman... in the way that he did?). I'd seen, at least, certain moments before. And some of that is "little girl makes strange buddies with wierd old guy, and they mentor one another" equation being a cliche for a reason.

The facts: When tried and true tales are told, there is much potential for it to be done well.

But if you suck, your crap is gonna suck.

Beeyotch.

Everyone remember that.

Anyway, the film is really wild, while cautious, and like Ebert says, the director found Paris in Manhattan. And Jean Reno, too, is somehow graceful beneath his clumsyness. I guess that's the whole deal--ninja is awkward near love.


And I'm thinking Leon could take Flint out anyday.

0 Expoundatures:

Expound

<< Home