Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Lock Stock a bunch of schlock

Characters didn't seem to actually care about anything. These guys may be soulless, but that doesn't mean they must be two-dimensional.

Style, cinematic trickery/gimmeckery, is the only character, with the people just tools to move forward the plot.

The plot was super interesting. But it stood on it's own, and resulted in more of a passively fascinating idea (it all comes together, the most screwed can come out on top, human kindness is a point of order amidst chaos). The lack of characters seeming real keeps the plot from, ya know, having resonance.

The writing tried too hard to be witty--there are times when it's important to get across plot and character points (not just the character point: he's british and quick-witted), when writing needs to be simpler.

I assume all of this is in response to Reservoir Dogs, but that had better balance. Guy Ritchie has extended this style to an almost extreme. Reminds me of the Japanese.

That's my take. I obviously can't have the whole picture, but I agree with what I've said.

0 Expoundatures:

Expound

<< Home