Friday, December 24, 2004

I'm dreaming of a red xmas...

The Pacific Northwest rejects tradition. Every year, the romantics and the children hope to get the infamous "white Christmas". What could be more magical than one's religion being in step with the weather? Even if it just snows--we'll forgive it's melting once it lands--that's how Christmas should be. And in many places, that's common! I mean, the 25th is several days into winter, why *should* it be so far fetched to be snowed in? For heaven's sake, there was a flurry on Thanksgiving one year!

But none of this means a crap to the weather patterns here in Seattle. Instead of the makin's for a sleigh ride, we get fog. About seven London's worth. And it stays. Our snow is apparently myst. And as I look out at what appears to be the Scottish moors, I wonder at the dubious joys of having a fog ball fight. Making fog angels. Building fog forts. (Balding fag farts.)

Indeed, the traditional seasons rarely exert themselves, across the board, anywhere in this contry, except New England. The summers and winters are *too* extreme in the midwest, and I'm not aware of the southwest *ever* having snow. Yes, it seems our ideas of how the natural world is "supposed" to act are based on vague imprints placed on us somehow. I suppose it's in films.

Meanwhile, I'm going to be spending the "big day" down in Olympia, where the only seasonal conditions I'll notice will be cold. And not much of it. It shakes one ideas of what makes a holiday. Is it just the date? No, because then it would just be the 25th, and it isn't. It's the 25th AAAAND it's Christmas Day. So, it must be the traditions we observe. Like gathering with family, for instance. Well, that's all fine, but my roommate, Alex, just moved here, and has no nearby family. I've offered to include him in our Christmas, but he said he preferred staying at our house. Sparkin' one, and watching good films. And I must say, our house is not even *slightly* decorated for the holiday. Still, Alex will be thinking of it in terms of Christmas, and I honestly don't believe he'll be bummed. He's the kinda guy who'd enjoy it. So it isn't the decorations, or the music, or even, necessarily the family. Is it the historical signifigance? Naw. I don't even know what Christmas came from. Wasn't St. Nicholas crucified that day, back in the day?

So, I guess it's what you make it. It's the date, and the label (if we all said "Merry Christmas!" on March 12th, that would be Christmas Day), and whatever collection of observances you desire. To the objective universe, it's yet another beat in the history of everything.

I know for *me*, it's going to be all about seeing The Life Aquatic. I'll bet Jesus would approve.

0 Expoundatures:

Expound

<< Home