Saturday, May 10, 2008

I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With: Seriously. I do.

It does feel like CUrb, with Jeff's natural tendency to improv in a floaty way. He feels like a hyper-sweet boy, living it up with his friends. He loves doing the one kinf of comedy he's capable. I'm curious to see how he will do his character in WALL•E. The main theme, as he points out in his commentary, is very reminiscent of Curb, but the feel of the story is so very different. We aren't exploring the idiosyncrasies of neurotic rich people, we're just bumbling through life, making people around us smile, if we can. That's a more open, simple goal. I love both.

I'd like to know more about Sarah Silverman's character--why she's so abrupt, why she changes gears often, and seemingly flawlessly. She has a story, I think, and if this were a Woody Allen picture, we'd see more of it. But even if Garlin is inspired by Allen, he doesn't seem to know a great deal about that character. I'd like to see more Jeff Garlin films, and in those I'd like to see him evolve a sense of story for each major player.

Overall, it's the warm sense of friends coming together to male a movie that I take away from this film. It generate a richness, not so much to the world in which the story takes place, but as to the production itself. That appeals to me.

0 Expoundatures:

Expound

<< Home