Monday, July 17, 2006

Sour Grapes: Prit-tay... prit-tay... prit-tay funny stuff

I love me some Larry David, so when I'd read he had written and directed a film, I gung-ho-edly watched it. I guess it's hated by many (Roger Ebert listed it as one of history's worst films, or something?), but I thought it was great! It sort of struggles for a sense of cinema, so I can see people feeling uncomfortable, watching what comes off more as a pre-cursor to Curb Your Enthusiasm than anyting you'd find on the big screen. Curb Your Enthusiasm, by the way, is a fucking brilliant show, and I strongly recommend renting the seasons on DVD.

But it still works in many ways. The oddball plot points are surprising, and yet somehow relatable, and the random quirks he throws in just to throw them in are all very funny, and say things about the characters. And, because it's a single film with a single theme (rather than a series), the bad things that happen to the characters register more as karmic retribution rather than an arbitrarily cold universe, like the one Seinfeld and Larry inhabit.

I just think Larry David is more comfortable in the TV arena, but a lack of experience generating that film tone just means he should make more movies! I'd watch.

0 Expoundatures:

Expound

<< Home