Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Everyone Says I Love You: the closest we'll get to John Irving in film

I must say I really enjoyed this film. And it was a bit of a debate. Whne dead people start singing and dancing, I decided no one talks about this movie because it was too zany for them. Like they weren't sure they even saw it.

Me: Have you ever seen that Woody Allen film "Everyone Says I Love You"?
Other person: Did I... No, I doubt it. I've seen some pretty weird dreams I've had, though...

But in the end I felt it struck very charmingly. I mean, sure I like Woody Allen, but there's a well choreographed tale he tells here, and it's even a little more honest than some of the things he writes. Each character goes through something that, up close, is crazy, but from afar we see it's kind of true. I think that's what I enjoy in his films: they're their realist when the zaniest things are happening! His dialogue overlaps and jumps back and forth and it keeps every character active and highlighted, like a circus. Or a ballet. Whatever the bear driving around in the little car is called.

...SO it's almost unnecessary when the songs happen. Or maybe it's just right because it's a dialogical musical anyway. The attitude the film takes toward people breaking into song (and everyone knowing the words) is like a super power some people have that everyone is used to seeing, but it's still really cool. Like the flying in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. In any case, it's a little embarrasing but mostly very charming. That Tim Roth is dreamy.

0 Expoundatures:

Expound

<< Home