Thursday, June 02, 2005

A strange balance

Every time I pass the field near my house, I notice little patches of fog, floating about in the darkness. I thought little of it, just that the field must hold a lot of moisture. But it's not the kid of weather, these days, that would appropriate fog. It's wet, but it's not of variable temperature, really. This has cemented by suspicion that there are buffs, or wisps, or something of that nature that live in the area. Probably have been for thousands of years, and when the city tore down the forest and built a park they just sort of kept hanging out. I've certainly felt the possibility of something... aware of me, when I run around the track. Probably in my head, but possibly not just in my head. Several summers ago, at the city's 50th anniversary celebration, there was a festival there, and a group of southwestern Native Americans played the best music around. Somehow, it fit. Like ancient people's keep track of the important spots, even when "progress" has paved it over.

I've often felt the desire to live in a world like the ones we read about in fantasy novels: why can't there be dragons and spells? Why must real life be so... realistic? Why must "realistic" mean "predictable"? Something I've noticed when I drift in and out of fictional worlds (be they novel, film, or video game), is the recurring theme of a warlike time, perhaps for thousands of years, followed by a peaceful, prosperous time, for thousands of years. Games, especially, require a conflict, and they usually come in the form of the end of a peaceful age. And I've occasionally wondered which would be better? Would I prefer the time of happiness? Or the time of excitement? You know, the old Frodo wants adventure, right up until he gets it, then he sees it's the pits, and he longs for the simple life again. So I'm saying I have caught myself longing for adevnture and excitement, in the very traditional, Final Fantasy sense.

So what if, those fantastic elves and faeries we read about in actual, factual celtic times wnt away because our society became more sensible. What if the Earth seeks this balance, where if the dominant lifeform strives toward logic and proofs and causality, the supernatural fades. The less warlike we become (cause wars are not what they were, back in, say, the 1200's), the more sane the fabric of our universe becomes. "What? You wish to explain the mechanics of everything you see? Okay, no magic, cause that's just not explainable."

Well, in many ways, this country is moving back toward chaos. The White House is no longer interested in exploring science (not the way Clinton was), or throwing money at the bottom of society, in order to boost everyone. Nowawadays, it's kill or be killed. Yell loudest, create your brand name, smile most convincingly, and you'll gain all the power. You'll police the world. And to what end? Just making money--not to help the people. Just to live forever--you and your old white cronies. So perhaps mother nature has responded, in the totally unfounded way I just came up with, by slowly increasing the "magic" factor. Maybe I see wisps because there's room for them again. And mayb soon, we'll see elves! Maybe Tom Daschle will reveal that he's a fire mage from the Zolbrothran Tombs. Maybe us dorks will get what we've always longed for, in an especially weird way.

Maybe I'm a fucking loon.

1 Expoundatures:

At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm hedging my pense on loon ;-)

 

Expound

<< Home